Monday, May 30, 2011

Springwatch!

I couldn't let the return of the glorious televisual swathe of nature and water things wrapped in a bundle of nice, suitably British lecturing, chatting, bewilderment and contented grins that is Springwatch go by unannounced! Such a very, very lovely programme (except when about catfish or cockroaches, but I suppose the children must be entertained), from which I think I learn more than I realise. I am not a great one for nature - I was never into pond-dipping except as a way to get out of lessons (yep, my city school had a Conservation Garden which I essentially took charge of, great way to avoid maths) but I love people talking about the things that they are really interested in, and that is what you get with Springwatch. Passionate nature people talking with lots of love about the largest variety of British nature things.

More about Springwatch at: http://www.bbc.co.uk/nature/uk/ - great site, very interactive, loads of extras.

The thing I love most is that this started as a little experiment of a show, and it's become a real Thing. I think even the BBC are surprised by its popularity, but you have to remember that the generation of kids who grew up watching presenter Chris Packham on the Really Wild Show (there must be youtube clips, I should look) are, frankly, thrilled to have him back, in all his Smiths-loving, poodle-owning madness. And nature, well, not all of us get out to it as much as we'd like...it's great to see it in all its forms, from highlands to cities.

Plus, on the other side, there's Britain's Got Talent. I'll go out on a short limb and say that there's a lot more talent on display on Springwatch tonight...

Springwatch and Autumnwatch

Also, it's simple, watchable, watch-with-anyone television. Good-hearted, unpatronising, cosy, pot-of-tea (or if you're us, alcoholic ginger beer - I had no idea, oh my, delicious) television. Sometimes the simplest things are the winners, and it's nice to know that there's a massive audience out there for this!

(There are STOAT BABIES on right now. STOAT BABIES.)

I feel I should have some great British nature photograph to go with this post, but alas, right now, I don't. I proffer instead, beautiful, beautiful Welsh coastline.


No comments:

Post a Comment