Thursday, June 9, 2011

Afternoon tea with the mutants...

It's been a great week so far - a ton of quality, quality cinema. The Senna documentary (Americans, if it gets back to you, you must, must see it...astonishing footage and a legend, truly), Apocalypse Now anniversary edition (my heart, Martin Sheen, a piece of it is always yours), and X-Men: First Class.

It's an epic triple bill, truly. Apocalypse Now was probably the most important for me - and also, the first time I think I have ever been in a full cinema! I watched it a lot when I was growing up, and was captivated by its starkness and the lingering shots of faces, eyes, ears, details, amidst soundscapes of chaos. I find it such an important film, in the scheme of things, and to get that full-screen benefit of it, with swirling helicopter sounds and that vast, horrific final sequence so very much in your face...that was how you were meant to experience the film. It was worth waiting my entire life for it to come back to cinemas...

Senna, I remember the death of Ayrton Senna so clearly, like so many people. I was absolutely in love with him when I was a child, he was so charismatic and had beautiful eyes, and I had never seen a Brazilian person before. He seemed like something magical. And then that awful weekend in San Marino, and it was a good fifteen years before I could watch F1 again. I didn't realise, in a way, until I watched the documentary how affected I was by that footage, as a child. It's not surprising, of course. What surprised me the most, though, was the sense of calm that I took from the film with me. To watch a documentary about such a life, and to take away from it a man's smile, and passion, that's a feat of cinema, and a great piece of construction it is, too. I hope it finds itself in the Oscar nominations when they come around.

And then X-Men: First Class. I very much like Matthew Vaughn as a direector, I like Jane Goldman as a writer, I have a heightened interest for anything they work on, and in the snappy, quintessentially amusing dialogue and the sharp, well-proportioned action scenes I found good evidence of their work. Alas, in a way, it is alas, Michael Fassbender and James McAvoy are so perfectly perfect that everything else about the film paled into insignificance for me. I wanted so much more of their relationship. Basically, I wanted Charles and Erik: The Good Times, rather than all the other bits and pieces on top. Because there was good stuff there, the Cold War look was really quite appealing and interesting (although I did wonder what you'd be left with as an understanding of the Cold War, if you hadn't studied it to atomic levels of detail at school as I did), but all I wanted was more Charles and Erik. It appears I am not quite alone, either! Plus points to Jennifer Lawrence on the side though - she's beautiful and captivating, and yet for all that, I find her wonderfully understated. She hasn't been trained out of her skills, and I await The Hunger Games with eager anticipatino.

So, I think that's the best week of cinema I can remember. What on earth should I see next?!

Post-cinema yesterday, we decided to, at last, spend our voucher for free coffee and cake, given to us by a leading department store when they screwed up our washing machine delivery. It looked like this:



(That burger-sized thing at the back there is a macaron. Seriously. Phenomenal.)

Really good coffee, too. Coffee is one of those things I truly believe is better in Sweden, but at this place, they have coffee that is almost as good as in Sweden, and that makes me happy. Especially when it's free!

4 comments:

  1. Coffee (with free refill) and cake! YES! Those ,often underground, coffee shops all over Gothenburg provided some of the highlights of my 3 months stay there in late 2001.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've heard good things about X-men. Will try to see it this week. And I'll be following your blog. I've missed hearing from you since the days of LOST podcasting have ended.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was also into the Charles and Erik relationship. Great actors both! I really dig MacAvoy!
    And I cannot WAIT for Hunger Games! I think Jennifer Lawrence might be very good. She was AMAZING in Winter's Bone. AMAZING.
    I'll have to watch for the Apocalypse Now re-issue. I'm sure it's awesome to see on the big screen!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes yes, Sweden's love of free refills is something I miss no end! Haven't got as far as Gothenburg yet, but one day, one day...

    I, as seems quite evident, am so very much in love with X-Men. I've so far only known one person who didn't fall for it fairly hard, and they didn't really want to go in the first place, so, there we are!

    Totally there with you Kirstin XD I haven't seen Winter's Bone yet, but that, too, is on the shelf waiting to be watched! She has a lovely presence, really, I must get to that... And you truly MUST see if the re-issue is anywhere near by, an experience not to be missed. I believe Taxi Driver, one of my other very, very favourites, is due a re-release in the next week or two as well! Definitely going to try to find a showing of that...

    ReplyDelete